I hope you and your family have a very merry Christmas. I pray that the Creator of the universe will make His power known to you. I pray the God who reigns forever as the triumphant King of Kings and Lord of Lords will make His holiness known to you. I pray that He who has conquered death and the grave will make His love real to you this holiday season and throughout the coming year.
You’ve heard Handel before. It is not quite as well known that The Messiah’s lyrics come straight from scripture. So, here are selections from Acts I and II, with along with the scripture references.
1. Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
2. Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned. . . .
3. The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
4.Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill made low, the crooked straight, and the rough places plain.
5. And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together:for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.
1. The Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in:Behold, He shall come, saith the Lord of Hosts.
2. But who may abide the day of His coming? and who shall stand when He appeareth? For He is like a refiner’s fire.
3. And He shall purify the sons of Levi. . . that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.
Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a Son, and shall call his name EMMANUEL, God with us.
2. The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: and they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
6. For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.
8. There were shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flocks by night.
9. And lo! the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10. And the angel said unto them, Fear not; for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes , lying in a manger.
13. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14. Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
9. Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee. He is the righteous Savior.
10. . . And he shall speak peace unto the heathen.
5. Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped. 6. Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb shall sing.
11. He shall feed his flock like a shepherd; and he shall gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.
Matthew 11:28, 29
28. Come unto [Him], all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and [He shall] give you rest. 29. Take [his] yoke upon you, and learn of [Him]; for [he is] meek and lowly of heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30. [His] yoke is easy, and [his]burden is light.
6. Hallelujah! for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
15. . . the kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of His Christ: and He shall reign for ever and ever.
16. . . . KING OF KINGS, LORD OF LORDS.
“A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches…” Proverbs 22:1
“Her husband is known in the gates, when he sits among the elders of the land.” Proverbs 21:23
As I have traveled around this state, one thing has never ceased to amaze me. Everyone knows my father. I have grown accustomed to my dad knowing my lunch arraignments when I’m in Milledgeville, even before I receive the check.
Father: So, who’s this attractive female you’re having lunch with, son?
Me: It’s (fill in the blank). I’ll tell Chester you said hi.
Father: What makes you think it was Chester that called?
Me: Ok, so I’ll tell Bill, Larry, Franklin, and Buddy (et al) hey too…
While this has become common around home, it still surprises me when I’m out in “my” turf, at political events and even the capitol. Random people, some of whom I know, several of whom I do not, approach me and inquire, “Are you Quincy Simpson’s son?” Then, without fail, they proceed to tell me how they know my father, and what a great man he is. My father’s good name IS known in the gates of this land.
A good name is a legacy that cannot be purchased. It is something that is given, from father to son. It is up to me, as I enter adulthood, to preserve it for my sons. Then, they will have the charge of preserving it for their sons as it passes from generation to generation. My I preserve it as my father has.