A couple of months ago, I did a post inviting others to contribute ideas of things for the Class of 2017 to during their time in Milledgeville. Today, their time in Milledgeville begins. They have spent this rainy morning moving into the residence halls of Georgia College.
So, from the locals, staff, faculty, and alumni (and sometimes a mixture of all the above), here is a list of the suggestions as well as messages from some of the participants.
- Go to your professor’s office hours
- Build a relationship with your academic advisor
- Use the Learning Center and supplemental instructors
- Visit the Old Governor’s Mansion*
- Visit the Old Capital Museum at GMC
- Go on a Study Abroad!
- Enjoy the outdoors at the Oconee River Greenway*
- Meet and form a relationship with a Milledgeville family.
- Visit Lockerly Arboretum
- Walk around Memory Hill Cemetery
- Go on the Haunted Trolley Tour
- Go see the Rocky Horror Picture Show on campus
- Go see a Jazz Band Performance
- Tour Andalusia
- Attend as many Musical concerts, theatre performances, dance performances, and literary readings as you can.
- Eat a Smiley Face cookie from Ryals’ Bakery*
- Attempt the XXX Hot Wings Challenge at The Brick
- Get a Spicy Chicken Biscuit from Golden Pantry*
- Try the Chicken Salad from Goodie Gallery
- Eat Stuffed Sticks and Hefty Nachos from The Brick
- Get a “Meat and three” meal from Country Buffet. “If you miss home, go here for comfort food.”
- Get some Sweet and Sour Chicken from Lieu’s Peking
- Velvet Elvis has great lunch specials
- Get some frozen yogurt at Yumo Yogo
- Try every restaurant downtown
- Play trivia at Buffington’s, Pickle Barrel, and Mellow Mushroom.
- Get involved on campus (SGA, Judicial Board, political and academic organizations)
- Cheer on the Georgia College athletic teams
- Make use of the Wellness Center
* Multiple individuals suggested this activity
Enjoy your time as a GCSU student to the fullest! It’ll fly by and you’ll have a great education and some wonderful memories and friends (maybe even a spouse!) to take with you into the real world after you graduate!
~ Beth H., Class of 2010 and 2011
GET INVOLVED with your Student Government Association!!! Run for office, make new friends, and apply for the Student Judicial Board. There is no quicker or better way to have a say in the day to day issues that relate to all facets of GC life!
~ Justin T. Reeves, Former Attorney General, Class of 2010 (BA History) and 2012 (MPA)
Dear Class of 2017,
You are about to enter the best times of your life. From here on out, the choices you make today will indeed affect your tomorrow. College is the time people refer back to- the time they long for after the get into the “real world” and the place that will always hold a special place in your heart. Study Abroad at least 1 time- get involved in at least 1 campus RSO- and remember now is the time you get to completely reinvent yourself. You have the decision to choose to be something great- or spend your college time saying “man last night was so awesome- I don’t remember any of it”. Choose to make memories- not regrets. College is an opportunity to grow and change- but it will only happen if you let it. Never let someone else make decisions for you- about anything. This is your time to stand out- take it. If you ever find yourself in need of help- do the wise thing and simply ask someone. The only stupid questions are the ones you think about- but never ask. Learn from others mistakes and welcome to Georgia College!
~ Rachel Sullivan Pope, Class of 2006 and 2009
Welcome to Georgia College
~ Member of the Class of 2013
And with that, I will add my welcome. I look forward to working with you over the course of the upcoming semester as well as the next four years. If there is any I can do for you, please let me know. Welcome to the Bobcat Nation.
~ Daniel R. Simpson, Class of 2008 and 2010